On August 30th, 2012, Vancouver will become one of more than 15 cities worldwide across five continents that have added their names to the le Dîner en Blanc (Dinner in White) network. Le Dîner en Blanc is one of the most exciting events of the year. At the last minute, a secret place is revealed to thousands of friends, who are impatiently waiting to be part of this amazing tradition that came from Paris. “Thousands of people, dressed all in white, and conducting themselves with the greatest decorum, elegance, and etiquette, all meet for a mass ‘chic picnic’ in a public space.”
The tradition of Le Dîner en Blanc was established over 24 years ago by Parisian François Pasquier with Paris’ Dîner en Blanc now assembling nearly 15,000 people each year. New York City last summer confirmed the event concept’s success, as over 31,000 people signed up to the waiting list to participate in that premiere.
The one-of-a-kind atmosphere of Le Dîner en Blanc can only be achieved if all the rules are followed to the letter. Here are the most important things that you have to remember to do before you set off to have fun with your friends:
- register. Registration takes place in three phases. First, members from previous years, and close friends of the organization. Second, friends recommended during the Phase 1 registration process. Third, guests who have signed up to the waiting list.
- White is the only permissible colour of the evening! Don’t be afraid to dress originally, but try to stay chic.
- Regardless of the weather, your presence is mandatory. It is essential for you to show up to maintain the magic of these dinners.
- Bring a picnic basket (food and china dinner service), white table cloth, table (between 28”x28” and 32”x32”), and foldable chairs — all white!
- In case of dark clouds and possibly rain, take a white raincoat, transparent poncho, or umbrella with you, but make sure it’s transparent.
- Arrive and depart by bus or organize public transit.
- It’s good to wear comfortable shoes in case of unfriendly terrain.
- Everybody is expected to stay until the end of the event.
- Bring your refuse when departing and leave the place as clean as it was upon arrival.
- Based on BC Liquor Laws, Le Dîner en Blanc Vancouver is not a BYOB event. You must pre-purchase wine from the Online Store. There will be no wine sales on-site. Security will be monitoring for BYOB.
This year, Le Dîner en Blanc takes place in four Canadian cities: Vancouver, Montréal, Québec, and Toronto. Dinners in white from the U.S. gather in Atlantic City, Boston, Chicago, Cincinnati, Las Vegas, New Orleans, New York, Philadelphia, San Diego, and San Francisco; Australians in Sydney and Brisbane; Rwandans in Kigali; Spanish in Barcelona; diners from Côte d’Ivoire in Abidjan; Italians in Milano; and Mexicans in Mexico City, while Singapore chose it’s capital, and Puerto Rico’s location is in San Juan.
The magic of Le Dîner en Blanc comes from its simplicity. There are no sponsors — no political or ideological agendas. Le Dîner en Blanc is simply a friendly gathering whose only purpose is to enjoy an unique evening, in good company, in an environment that is both unusual and extraordinary.